The historic town of Cuckfield is situated at the crossroads of central Sussex.

There is a record of a church in Cuckfield as early as 1092 and it was a bustling market town in the Middle Ages.  During Tudor times, Cuckfield was at the centre of the important iron industry where cannon and other armoury was forged for  King Henry VIII’s navy. The town’s Charter was granted by King Charles II in 1671 and many of the buildings in the town date back to the 16th Century.  Due to its key position in the Weald, Cuckfield became an important staging post on the London to Brighton stagecoach route.

Click on the image to see details of our Jubilee display ‘Happy and Glorious’ which looks at how local people have celebrated the Queen’s reign and showcases some of the unusual and beautiful objects of memorabilia they have collected.  Or follow the links at the top of the page to find out more about our collection and permanent displays.  And there is also some information about Cuckfield’s Heritage.

We are run entirely by volunteers and rely solely on donations from our supporters and members.  See here for how you can help us.

A number of Loan Boxes are available for schools.  And we run a programme of Talks and Events throughout the year.  Click on the Outreach tab for more information on these and other outreach activities.

Our current opening
hours are:

Wednesday to Saturday
10am till 12.30pm. 
Or by appointment.

You can find us at: 
Queen’s Hall, High Street, Cuckfield RH17 5EL   

Or contact us on 01444-473630 or info@cuckfieldmuseum.org

Admission is free but, as the Museum is solely funded from voluntary contributions, donations are welcomed.

Or join us as a Friend or Patron

Cuckfield Museum opened in 1981 as an independent museum where we aim to provide an insight into Cuckfield’s community, culture and historic past stretching back to pre-history when dinosaurs roamed the area and where, millions of years later, the settlement of Cuckfield was established.

We have come a long way from our early beginnings. The basis of the Museum’s collection is derived from the banker and local philanthropist Richard Bevan (1834-1918), who was the leading instigator of the building of the Queen’s Hall in celebration of Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee in 1897. The Bevan family bequeathed to Cuckfield a number of items from Horsgate, the house built for them in 1865.

Please browse our website for a flavour of what is on offer at the Museum.